Monday, July 22, 2013

Not Like the Movies

I want to take a second to talk about movies. Pretty common topic right? I don't mean what specific movies I like or types of movies or anything. I want to talk about what movies do for me; the effect they have on me. I might be a little self-righteous for a bit but bear with me.

I spend so much of my time worrying and stressing about all the bad things in my life and don't get me wrong, it's something I need to do, but every time I watch a movie, it's like for five seconds I can just forget about all that negativity and bask in the positive influences of some really good film.

Now I'm a romantic comedy kind of girl. I mean, what girl isn't? And yes, I want my life to be like a movie. We all do. And every time I watch some really good movie it just makes me happy because the possibility is out there. And that's the thing- maybe it's not.

I may not have a true love or a longtime best friend or a spontaneous adventure. But that doesn't matter. Movies simply allow those things to exist as an idea. And so what if right now I don't have them? As long as those things exist in theory, it stands to reason that they have the potential to exist in reality.

I may still have no idea what to do with my life, but Sandra Bullock showed me that it's possible to be both Miss America and a Special Agent. And I may have yet to have a boyfriend, but Jennifer Garner showed me that some people don't find the one until they're 30. Yes those are movies, and I'm not so delusional that I believe they are the most realistic reality.

But so what? I'm not the only one who has seen these movies, and surely I am not the only one who takes them to heart. So doesn't it stand to reason that all of us can believe in these 'theories'?

I mean, Peter Pan taught us that fairies will be real so long as we believe in them. Can't it be the same for movies?
At least the rom-com's anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment