Wednesday, March 25, 2015

50 Shades of let me tell you what's up

So last night I watched 50 Shades of Grey. There was a lot of controversy surrounding the story, but I didn't want to make a decision about whether I was for or against it until I saw it and could make the decision myself. Some people argued that it promoted rape culture and stalking, but others said it was actually romantic on shed positive light on bdsm. Were I to believe that it was promoting rape culture, I didn't want to have promoted it by buying a ticket, so I waited until I could watch it online. So now that I have watched it, I want to share my feelings.

I did not find the movie offensive. I think it makes its viewers very aware of psychological disorder, because Christian Grey most likely suffers from one as a result of his troubled past. Yes he has stalker like qualities and feels the need to inflict pain- but he never rapes Anastasia. The character of Anastasia is strong to enough to say no when she wants to and give it to him straight.

I agree that this movie was good for sharing information about bdsm, which stands for bondage, discipline, submission, and something else. People often relate this with rape but it's not. The movie clearly points out that Christian warns Anastasia beforehand and that she can so no at any time. They also establish safe words so that she can express when she is getting uncomfortable and he knows to stop.

Romance is starting to become a rarity in life. People don't go out dates, relationships don't last long; so I think it was refreshing for us to be presented with a romance that isn't the typical romantic comedy relationship.

That being said, I didn't think the movie was real exciting or anything. The ending left you hanging, but it has a sequel so I guess that makes sense. The high point of the movie was a sex scene, which makes sense for the tale, but for a movie it didn't really make for any high points.

No comments:

Post a Comment