Saturday, March 14, 2015

6 Things I Wish I'd Known in High School

1. Wear what you want, but make sure you feel good.
You don't have to dress like everybody else. If you like jeans, wear jeans, and if you like dresses, wear dresses. Heck, wear sweatpants if you want, but do sweatpants feel good? I used to try to wear jeans and uggs like everyone else, but I kind of hated jeans, and preferred skirts. I tried leggings and sweatpants, but what I found was that I felt like crap when I wore them. What I was wearing determined my mood. I was happier in a dress, and sweatpants made me feel groggy. So wear what you enjoy, because when you get to college, nobody cares what you're wearing. We've all got better things to worry about.

2. Spend high school figuring out what you want to do.
Everyone says that you have plenty of time in college to figure out what you want to do, but that's not totally true. You have a little wiggle room, but not much. I'm lucky to go to a great school, but if I had known what I wanted to go into in high school, then I could have picked a school that was really good for that, and not just a school that had good academics and a nice campus. I also could have taken more classes freshmen year that I needed, rather than taking random ones, and then I could have graduated early and saved money. Don't get me wrong, I love my school and don't mind spending 4 years there, and I have had enough time to take what I needed to take, but I would have been way ahead of the game if I had spent high school really figuring out my plan.

3. Your friends probably won't last forever.
High school can be great and you can make some amazing friends, and you'll probably convince yourself that those friendships will last forever, no matter how far apart you are, but the fact of the matter is that that isn't necessarily true. Sure, for some people it is, but don't expect it. When you go to college, you make new friends and new memories, and it's just hard to connect with the people you used to. And it's totally okay. That's how life works. Accept it.

4. Prom is not that big of a deal.
When you get to college, you kind of realize that prom is a joke. Sure it's a fun night to dress up and have fun, but all the stressing you did was not worth it. In a few years, you won't care if you had a date or not, you won't re-wear your dress, and you'll probably have no idea where your pictures went. So don't freak out about having the perfect prom, because it's honestly not that big of a deal.

6. School is important.
Seriously, don't ignore this. School is such an important thing. It will get you into college, it will get you jobs; and the better you do, the better off your future will be. I know it's tough and you don't want to put the effort into it, but if you want to have a life after high school, you have to put in the work. Just be confident and have faith in yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment