Monday, July 6, 2015

It's Okay

As we grow up, we constantly rebel against our parents; it's the nature of being a child. As a preteen and teenager, we want to make our own rules. When it comes to safety, our parents do know best. They've lived more worldly lives then us. They know how to keep us safe, how to make decisions regarding our education, or our finances. But if there is one thing I've learned as an adult, it's that your parents are not always right.

Actually, I didn't learn this as an adult; I've always known it. But a lot of my friends did not learn it until adulthood. I was punished a lot as a child for rebelling, but it wasn't rebelling in the conventional sense. Believe me, I've never been a wild child; I've always followed the rules. However, I was a headstrong kid, and I still am. I wasn't afraid to let my parents know when I disagreed with them. There were plenty of times where I didn't agree with their parenting choices, or I disagreed with some beliefs they held. The problem with parents is that they think in order to be respected by their kids, or even feared by their kids, they need to be right %100 percent of the time. Speaking my mind often led to punishment.

Thankfully, I never let it get me down. I maintained my ability to be headstrong. I didn't concede. As an adult however, my parents still refuse to allow me to speak my mind, or oppose them. As someone with what I think is a lot of worldly experience, and an education, I still don't have the respect I deserve.

The unfortunate reality is that parents will be parents. When their child speaks out against them, they aren't going to listen to the content of the child's message. They are going to assert authority without considering that they might in the wrong. This is not okay. And we as children need to understand this.

So today I wanted to write a message to parents, or to kids with similar parents. It's okay for kids to disagree.

Parents, please don't do what mine did. Don't overlook me simply because I'm not as much an adult as you are. Being young does not make me inferior. Parents, please do not punish your kids for politically disagreeing with you, or for speaking their minds. Don't consider them ignorant or uneducated, They are much smarter than you think Don't silence their voice.

Kids, be strong. It is okay to disagree with your parents. I'm not talking about something like staying out past curfew. I'm talking about other examples. I always told my parents that comparing me to my brother wouldn't make me a better person. They disagreed. They fought with me. It's okay to fight back. It's okay to stand up for yourself. They might yell at you, tell you you're wrong or you're stupid. Don't be silenced. Be yourself, and don't lose who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment