Saturday, May 24, 2014

Blast from the Past

Stumbled upon this little thing while cleaning my room; a poem from when I thought I would try out slam poetry. Eh.


I'm built like that
Built like forty foot gates
Made of iron, keeping in, 
Built like bronze plates and glass slates
I lived twenty years and a day
Saw nothing but gray skies
Lived off seeds and solitude
That's why I was built 
For long days and cold nights
Built for fortresses and low incomes
I traveled bareback
Lost time and conscience
Days only brought reconnaissance 
That's why I was built for the ground
Built for the earth
I ate tweed and sang mist
Carried the heavy weight of hope
Formed calluses on my feet from iron-clad gravity
I sparred with daylight
Fenced with desire
Ground my hands into stone
And when I'd finished living
I tore off a layer of pent up anguish
Condensed sweat and pain
And threw away days of dirt, mud, and past
For I was built like that

No comments:

Post a Comment